How to add a website
You need to be a creator or owner to add new websites.
Click the red Add website button to start adding a new website. You only need to add a website once. In future, you will simply re-test the website you added.
Depending on your account, you’ll be asked a few questions:
- Type of report. Some customers may have different types of report, and be asked to choose which one they want. Where applicable, you’ll also be shown how many of that type of report you have remaining.
- Web address. e.g.
example.com. Silktide will automatically expand the web address you provide to include common variations (SSL and non-SSL, with and without “www.” at the start). The whole domain you enter is tested, not just the specific page you type in (e.g. entering
example.com/pagewill test all of example.com). You can change these settings later if that’s a problem.
- Languages used. You must tell Silktide what languages a website uses for it to be tested accurately. For example, if your site contains a mixture of French and English, Silktide will use this to correctly check your spelling and grammar. Note that there are often different versions of a language, e.g. US English and UK English, and the incorrect setting will result in incorrect test results. You can type in this box to search for languages.
- Max pages. Some customers will be asked the maximum number of pages they wish to test. For most customers, this option is not shown.
- Automatically re-run. Where supported, you can optionally choose to re-run the report on a fixed schedule, e.g. every week. This will use up one of you reports if available; if you are out of reports the scheduled report will not run. You can change your schedule at any time. You can also set a default schedule for new websites under Account settings.
If you account allows it, you may be asked to specify search engine keywords for your website, like so:
Testing password protected websites
If the website requires a username and password to be viewed, Silktide will ask for these when you try to add the website (see testing password protected websites).
- How to add multiple websites at once
- How to delete a website
- How to check your websites are set up correctly
- How to limit how fast Silktide downloads a website
- How to exclude pages from a website
- How to export tables of results
- How to find your website
- How to retest a single page while you are viewing it
- How to retest specific pages
- How to retest your whole website
- How to search results for specific webpages
- How to search the content of your website
- How to set a website's competitors
- How to set website permissions
- How to set when your website is automatically retested
- How to specify languages used by a website
- How to specify what pages are in a website when you create it
- How to test password-protected websites
- How to enable and disable screens
- How to exclude a region of a page from being tested